Wednesday 15 June 2011

Strawberries and peaches hat: free pattern.

I had some yarn left over from this summer cardi and decided to knit a matching hat for my daughter. I'm currently trying hard to use all remaining yarn in my stash, especially all the small and odd left over balls of yarn. For this summer hat I used only half a hank of pretty Araucania cotton. It was a super quick project as well and I decided to share my notes with other knitters here.


 STRAWBERRIES AND PEACHES HAT.
 *** project notes ***

Size: 18-24 months
Yarn: Araucania Pomaire Multy, circa half a hank (83m)
Needles: dpn 4mm/ US6, circular 3.75mm/ US5
Gauge: 17sts on larger needles in the round = 10cm

Abbreviations:
st st: stockinette stitch
dpn: double pointed needles
ssk: slip two stitches knit wise (one at a time), then move them back onto your left needle and knit them together through the back
kfb: knit stitch front and back



Using provisional method cast on 80 sts. 
Spread stitches evenly on 4mm dpn (20 sts on each needle).
Join in round and place marker to indicate the beginning of each round.

Knit in st st until your piece measures 9 cm.




Next round: *knit 8 stitches, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 7 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 6 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 5 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 4 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 3 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: *knit 2 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round
Next round: knit
Next round: knit 1 sts, ssk, repeat from * till the end of round

Cut yarn and pull it tightly through remaining stitches.



Now go back to the base of your hat.
Remove scrap yarn that you used for provisional cast on, placing the stitches evenly on 4mm dpn.

Knit one round.
Next round: purl

Next round: change to 3.75mm circular needles and kfb all your  stitches (160 sts)
Knit 6 rounds.

Next round: cable bind off which will create lovely picot edging.

Cable bind off: cast off 2 sts, *move stitch from right needle to the left one and cable cast on 3 sts,  cast off 5 sts, repeat from * until all sts are bound off.

Weave in loose ends and block the hat gently.



I hope my notes help someone to knit this summer hat for their little ones :)

***Copyright notice: These are my personal pattern notes and they belong to me. I've written them down for personal and non-profit use only. They can be used to knit for charity but they cannot be used to knit garments for commercial purposes. Thank you!***

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! The things I miss out on, not having girls. Still - I have friends with little girls who would love this little hat! There's ALWAYS a reason to knit, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sto procent słodkości !!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an adorable hat!! very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the hat, and I'm impressed that you write notes while knitting. I always mean to, but never actually do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dziękuję Kasiu za opis, na pewno skorzystam kiedyś.

    ReplyDelete