Tuesday 17 August 2010

Little sister's dress (or: big girl's vest top)

Last week we had C.'s parents visiting. This time they came by car, bringing us some stuff that we left in our flat in Genoa in January. They also brought almost all my yarn and needles and started projects which made me really happy. I found this dress among them: I started knitting it before G.'s first birthday and left it unfinished and didn't really think it would suit her now. Long time has passed and now she is a big girl, defenetly too big to wear a dress in 12 month size. But I liked this dress and I wasn't keen on frogging it so this morning, when G. was still sleeping, I got up, made myself nice cup of coffee and finished this dress. Actually, it turned out to be a top.


I realized I didn't have nice buttons for this dress/top and decided to attach a crochet flower. The thing is that I can't really crochet, although I have tried many times to learn this craft. Crochet still is a mysterious art to me, hook is a wand, charts and patterns are a top secret coded information understood only to the chosen ones and any crochet project is just a pure magic to me. I own few hooks and every now and then I try to play with them but this little flower is actually the first crochet thing I successfully completed. I really feel proud; maybe there is some hope for me after all ;)
With some help of YouTube I managed to produce this little beauty:

I accessorized it with a pearl in the middle:

And then I attached the flower to the dress/top:

I'm really happy with the final result. And G. seems to be happy too :)


Project notes:
Pattern: Little Sister's Dress by Tora Frøseth
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft DK
Needles: US4/3.5mm

7 comments:

  1. I love the colors and the flower! Your girl is adorable, thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful . . . the top and the model :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It came out perfectly and I love your color choices! Great flower idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little G has grown so much! I love the small dress turned into a top, and buttoned up with a crochet flower. Now that you have your stash and needles, you'll be making more wonderful things, I'm sure. I'm so glad you decoded crocheting:)
    Can I ask you, where did you get your wooden hook?
    Looks like your move to London is (more or less) permanent, I hope it's a good home for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If that isn't the sweetest little face ever...swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the cutest thing ever. It works as a top perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice color choice, she looks so cute in it.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete